Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Demystifying Ugali


HOW TO COOK UGALI
.
Hello Fellow Cookers!

To date I think this is one of the hardest meals that I have had to explain how to cook though it has a very simple recipe. Ugali is a meal which you cook better with practice but I will try my best to explain how to make it as I have been asked to do so by some of the readers of this blog. 

I remember cooking my first Ugali when I was 12 years old to my late uncle. It was small in size judging from the small saucepan that I used and the little amount of water boiled. Once I added the flour and I turned the Ugali with all my might until it had the proper stickiness and thickness it was ready to eat. After my late uncle tasted my Ugali he gave me a thumbs up and I sighed with relief. I was now an African woman.
Ugali is the cornerstone starch for many Eastern and Southern African communities. In Kenya and Tanzania it is called Ugali or Sima. In Uganda it is called Posho. In Southern Africa it is called Pap. In Zimbabwe it is called Saaza. West Africa does not have an Ugali but their equivalent is Fufu which is made from pounded, yams, cassava or plaintain. In some places they add salt to the Ugali while some communities like it hard while others soft. I guess it is all about personal preference. The most interesting Ugali I have ever eaten was made by roommate where she added desiccated coconut to the mix. I really liked the coconut ugali and I will definitely try it soon. 

So this is how most East Africans make their Ugali though depending from which community and which part of the continent you are from there could be slight variations. I was a bit hesitant about putting measurements because its one of those meals where you cook with your gut and with your eyes but here it is folks.

UGALI
Serves 2

INGREDIENTS:
-1 cup of Water
-2 cups of Maize Meal Flour

EQUIPMENT:
-Cooking Stick/ Mwiko
-Saucepan

METHOD:
-Put water in a saucepan and set it to boil.
-Once the water has boiled add flour. Add the flour gradually as you turn the Ugali. You may not use all the flour that you set out to use depending on how thick and hard you want your Ugali. Though once you are able to turn the Ugali while it is a solid dough without any remnants of flour visible then you should stop adding flour.
-If you feel like your Ugali is too hard add boiled water, and if you feel like your Ugali is too soft add flour.
-Turn the Ugali while it is a dough for atleast 15 minutes for it to cook well.
-Tell tale signs your Ugali is ready is when a thick crust forms all around your saucepan. Also if you hold it in the palm of your hand and try to make a ball shape out of it there is no stickyness.
-Once ready, shape the Ugali on a plate and serve hot with vegetables and a stew.
I hope this was helpful. In case you have other helpful tips and other comments towards demystifying ugali, feel free to comment.


Happy Cooking!

B

No comments:

Post a Comment