Tuesday, December 2, 2014

"Chapo Madondo" Reloaded (Chapati and Beans in Coconut Cream)

Like most Kenyan households in my house we regularly eat legumes as a protein alternative. I was not a big fan of beans when growing up but I ultimately concluded it was due to the way they were cooked. Ever since I started using this recipe, "Chapo Madondo" has become a firm favourite in my household. I will credit this to my secret ingredient COCONUT CREAM. A can of Coconut Cream can easily be found in any Supermarket. Another option to the canned Coconut Cream is Coconut Milk Powder. However I prefer the cream instead. It adds a rich flavour and a hearty stew. Enjoy this simple and quick fix recipe especially for days when you are not in the mood of cooking. In the picture I used Lentils/Kamande but I always use the same recipe for any legume my favourite being CowPeas.

Serves 4

 In the picture I used Lentils/Kamande but I always use the same Coconut Cream recipe for any legume my favourite being CowPeas.


Ingredients
2 and a half cups of beans/ cowpeas/ lentils previously boiled
1 onion finely chopped
1 can coconut cream/milk
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons oil
1 small tomato (optional) (Grated or finely chopped)
3 small beef cubes or 1 large beef cube

Method
-Fry the onions in the oil until they soft.
-If you opt for tomatoes add them and fry for 3 minutes or until when cooked
-Add in the beans, cowpeas or lentils and mix and fry for 3-5 minutes
-Pour in the coconut milk
-Crumble in the beef cubes and add salt to taste
-Let the coconut milk simmer under a low flame for around 10 minutes.
-When ready serve with Chapati or Rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment