Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Easy Bake Orange Cake

My memories of cake from my childhood were slabs of vanilla cake and chocolate cake made out of Cadbury’s Drinking Chocolate. We would have cake at least twice a week in the school I went for 12 years. So for me school spoilt cake for me and for the longest time “I wasn’t a cake person.”
Fast forward to my twenties when I can afford to buy cake for myself and I discovered the sweet pleasure of a moist well frosted cake. The texture just tingles and delights my taste buds. Ever since then I’ve been on the quest to bake for myself the perfect moist cake and I found it in this perfect orange cake.
The recipe is super easy and if you have a surplus of oranges this would be the perfect way to put them into use. I made this cake for my friend…the frosting needs a bit of work but it was super tasty. A great treat for the family.
The tasty cake, excuse the novice frosting :-)

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1½ cups superfine sugar
½ cup milk
½ cup orange juice
½ cup vegetable oil
3 eggs beaten
3 teaspoons grated orange zest
6 tablespoons margarine softened
2 cups caster sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method
-Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. grease and flour baking pan/sufuria.
-In a bowl combine milk, orange juice, eggs, 2 teaspoons orange zest and put aside
-Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Mix in the sugar. Lastly add the milk mixture and stir thoroughly until fully combined,
-Put the batter into your preferred baking tin and bake in the pre-heated oven for 35 minutes or until when a knife is inserted into the cake it comes out clean

-To make the frosting – Cream the margarine until smooth. Gradually beat in caster sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Beat in 2 tablespoons of orange spoon until slightly stiff. Then stir in vanilla and the remaining teaspoon of orange zest.

-When the cake has cooled frost your cake and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment