Thursday, February 14, 2013

Potatoes Galore Part 2! :Spanish Omelet

SPANISH OMELET/ CHIPS MAYAI/ ZEGE

Happy Valentine's Day Fellow Cookers,

I love Spanish Omelet because it has 2 of my favorite foods, potatoes and eggs. Its a really simple dish to make and it can be a main course, starter, a snack for the kids or a picnic dish. This is undeniably the most versatile and tasty dish in my repertoire.

I first ate Spanish Omelet during a seminar, it tasted good but I remember immediately Googling the recipe and discovering that they could have made it more tasty. I later made the dish using the online recipe and I added a few spices and ingredients that I thought would make it better and I am happy to say I found a star.

My roommates are undecided at to whether Meatballs or Spanish Omelet is my specialty dish; I am not bragging when I say I make a mean Spanish Omelet but this is largely due to the garlic. I learnt early on in my cooking life that garlic and potatoes are best friends. You can never go wrong with this combination. As always I encourage you to be creative in your cooking, my recipe is simply a guide. Feel free to add ingredients that you think would make the dish tastier.

My roommates also informed me that Spanish Omelet is similar to a Tanzanian Treat known as Chips Mayai/ Zege :-) That was pleasant insight! Hurrah to African Cuisine!

Here is one of my best loved comfort food recipes. I hope you enjoy making and eating it as much as I do.

Enjoy!

Serves 2

INGREDIENTS:
-4 large Potatoes
-1 large Onion (finely chopped - optional)
-Oil for deep frying
-4 cloves of Garlic (pounded - optional)
-3 eggs
-2 strips of bacon (finely chopped - optional)
-1 slice Ham (finely chopped - optional)
-1 small bunch of Coriander (finely chopped)

METHOD:
-Peel the Potatoes and slice them thinly at most 1/2 a cm thick
-Heat the oil and deep fry the potatoes and onions together.
-When the potatoes are ready remove them from the oil together with the onions and drain them.
-Beat the eggs and add the garlic, bacon, ham, coriander and any other spices you may wish.
-Mix the egg mixture with the potatoes and onion.
-Put a little oil on a shallow pan.
-Add the mixture and let it fry. it should have the shape of a flat cake rather than being completely flat.
-After once side has cooked for 7 minutes (medium heat), get a plate and turn over the pan leaving the Spanish Omelet on the plate. Then place back the Spanish Omelet onto the pan with the uncooked side on the bottom and the cooked side facing the top.
-Fry for a 5 more minutes. (medium heat)
-When ready serve hot.
 The food to the left of the Spanish Omelet is Cabbage, it goes really well with the dish.

Happy Cooking!

B

2 comments:

  1. wat else can you use instead of ham n bacon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Betty, you could use sausages or smokies. If these are not available you can leave them out of your recipe it wont make a big difference. Hope you like the recipe I'm sure it will be a big hit in your household.

    B

    ReplyDelete